Districts in Kerala
Geographical Nature 50 % midland, 30% Highland and 20%
low land. Highland at the Kothamangalam Taluk [border of Idukki district].
Rivers: Periyar, Muvattupuzha Thodupuzha
Backwaters: Vembanatt, Kodungallore, Varapuzha.
Forest land: 8,123 hectre
Aluva: Famous for Festival Shivarathri
Bhoothathankettu: Just 8 Kms north east of Kothamangalam is one of the
most visit places of Kerala Bolgatty: It was built in 1744 as Dutch Palace;
then later became a British Residency. Today it turned out to be one of
the KTDC Hotels. Its set in six hectares of lush . green lawns with Golf
Cherai Beach : Its the latest entry in a tourist diary-
the Cherai in Ernakulam district. It's the new generation tourist hot
spot. Golden beaches, coconut palms corridors, backwaters, historical
monuments. Just 15 minutes drive from North Paravur.
Chinese fishing Nets: Cantilevered fishing nets were introduced
by traders from the court of Kubli Khan.
Dutch Palace : Portuguese constructed this Palace in 1568 and handed over
to Maharaja of Kochi- Veera Kerala Varma. Since the Dutch rebuyilt the
Palace it Known to be Dutch Palace.
Edapally: St. George Church, Pilgrimage Centre Fort Kochi : The first
church 'St. Francis Church' constructed by the Portughese situated
here. Vasco da Gama was buried here  and later his remains were
transferred to Libson, Portugal. His tombstone can be seen inside the
Hill Palace Museum: The King Palace,12 Km south -east of Ernakulam [Tripunithura]:
Painting , Epigraphy , the collections from Travancore & Cochin Royal
families. The surrounding area of the Palace greenish by herbal plants.
Jewish Synagogue: 8 Km from Ernakulam at Mattancherry , it constructed
in 1568. Curlings of Old Commandments and Chinese codes can be seen in
the synagogue. The original building was destroyed by shelling during
Portuguese raid in 1662 and was rebuilt two years later when the Dutch
took over Kochi.
Kalady: 45 Km from Kochi, Adi Sankarachaarya[786-820] scholar &philospher
from India who revived the Hindu religion founder of advatic philosophy
established mutts all over India was born in Kalady
Kallil Temple : 13 Km from Perumbavoor The idol made from single stone
. It was an old Jain temple now it turn out to Hindu worship
Kaloor: St. Antony's Church, Pilgrimage Centre. KOCHI [Cochin] : Consists
of the mainland Ernakulam, the Islands of Willington, Bolgatty and Gundu
in the Harbour; Fort Cochin and Mattancherry in the southern peninsula;
Vypeen Island, north of Fort Cochin. All these areas are linked by ferry;
bridges also link to Ernakulam to Willington Island and the Fort Cochin/
Mattancherry peninsula. Almost all historical sites are in Fort Kochi
Kochin Carnival: To attract Tourists [the Carnival started in 1984- December
2nd Sunday to the New Year Day] from all around the world. Kodanadu: Elephant
training centre situated here administered by Forest Department. Kothamangalam:
' Marthoma Cheriya Pally' Pilgrimage centre. The mortal remains of the
17th century Saint from the middle east, Mar Baselious. Malayattoor Mount:
Christian Pilgrimage Centre
Museum of Kerala History : Situated at Edappally ,10 km north-east of
Ernakulam on the Aluva route. Parishath Thampuran Museum : Awakens 19th
century memories. Oil paintings, old coins, sculptures and Mughal paintings,
Interesting temple models. The museum is housed in enormous traditional
style Kerala building Perumbhavoor: Centre for Plywood Industry Roman
Catholic Church near the
St. Francis church: Attractive paintings are here. Santacruz Cathedral
at Fort Kochin Thattekkad: Bird sanctuary near Bhoothathakettu
Veegaland [Amusement Park]: Located in Pallikara, near Kakkanadu barely
14Km from Palarivattom bye-pass [and Kochi] junction and situated almost
300 feet above Sea level.
Veegaland is set amongst 18.5 acres of surpassingly grand and incomparably
idyllic environs, at Pallikkara. Initially developed as 'very own' park
Vypeen & Gundu Islands: The Island toasts a lighthouse at Ochenthuruthu,
beaches and the early 16th century Palliport Fort. Gundu is the smallest
island in the harbour, which is close to Vypeen. Doormats from coir [coconut
fibre] are made here. Strung out along the tip of Fort Kochin - opposite
to Vypeen Island.
Willington Island: In order to deepen the Cochin Port while the sand removed
with this sand the Island was made. Railway terminal, Southern Naval command,
Port Trust Offices, customhouses etc located in this island.